Monday, January 28, 2008


I have to say that for 3 days post-op, I feel pretty damn good. Not like I want to run a marathon, but just the fact that I'm awake and alert and not howling in pain is good. I'm even off the Percocet and just taking Aleve now.

My surgery went very well; as I suspected, my reproductive system was a hot mess. I'll spare you all the intimate details, but suffice it to say that my chances of achieving a pregnancy are now significantly improved. (Yay!) And on top of that, the unbearable pain in my right hip and across my lower back is gone. (Yay again!)

I got to the hospital around 10:30 am, had my vitals checked and received my lovely hospital wardrobe (gown, robe, non-slip socks). After taking my medical history, the nurse started my IV and then Matt was able to come sit with me for a while and read from our Paris guidebook before they wheeled me off to the OR.

Once I was in the OR, I got onto the table and the nurses made me warm and comfy. I was trying not to freak out about the anestheisia; I think I did okay. The anesthesiologist came and put those awful sticky things on my chest and started the medicine to make me sleepy. The dots on the ceiling started swimming, but I fought the urge to sleep because I wanted to see my doctor's face before I drifted off. I turned my head to the side and I saw him. He waved at me and I laughed. I asked him for some U2, and he obliged. I drifted off to the opening verse of "One" :)

Afterwards, I had a hard time waking up from the anesthesia. I kept forgetting to breathe on my own, and my pulse ox stats would drop each time they tried to take me off oxygen. And then I had a lovely bout of vomiting in the recovery room. But eventually I made it through. And my throat isn't even sore.

My sister was here to take care of Jacob during my surgery, and she stayed in town an additional day to help out and cook us all kinds of yummy food. And Matt, my hero, has been working himself so hard to take good care of me that he wound up getting sick! So he's napping now... poor guy. Good thing he took a week off from work.

My post-op appointment is two weeks from today, and at that point we'll assess and figure out when we can start another cycle of treatment. I'm very hopeful! In the meantime, Matt and I are watching movies (last night: Paris Je T'aime and Harold and Kumar go to White Castle... lol) and doing crosswords and such. I have a feeling I'm going to be missing the gym soon...



Anne said...

Yay, Maggie! So glad things went well - sounds like they were able to give you a good cleaning and tune-up. :)I sure wish I lived close enough to play Nurse, or at least Candy Striper - bring you magazines and yummy food, paint your toe nails. Lots of love and healing thoughts to you!

bloodthirsty~girl said...

i'm so glad to hear you're doing well! hope the rest of your recovery is just as speedy!

Misty said...

I am SOOO glad that things are going well!!! And it sounds so optimistic! That is the best news I've had all week!

Ty-Anna said...

Well I'm glad your chances have improved and that you are already feeling pretty good. :-)